I'm a landscape photographer, currently living in Reno, NV. During almost 40 years as a librarian, I was lucky enough to work in some great locations, including Austin TX, Marin County, Seattle, and Salt Lake City. Each one of these places provided great opportunities to explore and try to capture some aspect of this terrific planet we live on.
I've also been blessed to have some excellent teachers, from the patient man who taught me the basics of f-stops and shutter speeds back in the 70s, to my photographic guru, Marty Knapp, and sensei Keith Skelton.
Five infrared tree photos published in Shizen online magazine, Fall 2016.
Photos chosen for the Earth Science Picture of the Day website
of the Universities Space Research Association:
* Alvord Desert in Oregon - November 27, 2019
* Exfoliation in the Alabama Hills - October 25, 2019
* Nurse Logs - July 4, 2019
* Crack in the World - March 26, 2019
* Prickly Pear Cactus Viewed in Infrared - April 19, 2018
* Panum Crater, California - January 10, 2018
* Stillwater National Wildlife Refuge - December 13, 2017
* Infrared View of Yosemite from Olmsted Point - October 19, 2016
* Three Distinct Cloud Decks Above the White Mountains of California - April 26, 2016
* Lenticular Clouds over Reno, Nevada - December 22, 2015
* Fort Rock Tuff Ring - November 30, 2015
* Interior of Obsidian Dome, California - October 6, 2015
* Drought at Grant lake, California - March 6, 2015
* Woolly Fringe-moss Over Iceland's Lava - November 3, 2014
* Iceland's Dettifoss Waterfall - July 9, 2014
* Contrail and Shadow over Smoke Creek Desert, Nevada - June 8, 2014
* Tufa Formations at Winnemucca Dry Lake, Nevada - May 7, 2014
* Sierra Wave Clouds - January 8, 2014
* Epiphytes on Orcas Island - November 1, 2013
* Lake Lenore Caves - August 11, 2013
* White Rim Plateau - June 10, 2013
Pacific Sun (Marin County, CA) Photo Contest
* City from Mt. Tam - 2nd place, Marin Images, 2007
* Morning, White House Pool - 1st place, Marin Images, 2008
* Pacheco Valle Calligraphy - 3rd place, Marin Images, 2010
Tree in Winter, Pyramid Lake - First Place, Special Category (Trees), Marin County Fair, 2008
Nineteen Landscapes and One Bird - exhibit, Café Arrivederci, San Rafael, CA, November 22 - December 18, 2008
Library work and publications
Reference Librarian (2000-2012)
University of California, Berkeley
Service Design Analyst (2000-2001)
California Digital Library
University of California
Internet Services Librarian (1994-1999; telecommuting, 2000)
Washoe County Library, Reno, NV
Networked Information Support Specialist (telecommuting, 1994)
Networked Information Services Coordinator (1991-1993)
Assistant for Computer-based Information Services (1987-1991)
Assistant for Public Services Programs (1981-1987)
General Libraries, University of Texas at Austin
Adjunct Faculty (1983-1994)
Office of Management Services, Association of Research Libraries
Reference Librarian (1976-1981)
Van Pelt Library, University of Pennsylvania
MLS 1975, Rutgers University
MA 1973, Brown University (English literature)
BA 1970, University of Washington
"Library Terms That Users Understand," a compilation of usability data and resources on library terminology, 2012.
"Is Usability the New B.I.?", in Technology in Libraries: Essays in Honor of Anne Grodzins Lipow, ed. Roy Tennant (Lulu.com, 2008). Available as a free download.
"The Other Home Page: Special-Purpose Entry Points for Library Web Sites," Library Journal netConnect, April 15, 2003.
"Technostress in the Bionic Library," in Cheryl LaGuardia, ed., Recreating the Academic Library: Breaking Virtual Ground (New York: Neal-Schuman, 1998), pp. 23-47.
"YOU ARE HERE, But Where is That?: Architectural Design Metaphors in the Electronic Library," in Cheryl LaGuardia, ed., Finding Common Ground: Creating a Library of the Future Without Diminishing the Library of the Past (New York: Neal-Schuman, 1998), pp. 58-67.
"The Evolving Research Library: A Memetic View," in Susan Lee, ed., The New Library Legacy: Essays in Honor of Richard De Gennaro (Munich: K.G. Saur Verlag, 1998), pp. 34-43.
"8 Hours in Cyberspace: Operating a Library Web Site," Internet Trend Watch for Libraries 2 (December 1997).
"Teaching, Learning, and Technostress," in Cheryl LaGuardia, ed., The Upside of Downsizing: Using Library Instruction to Cope (New York: Neal-Schuman, 1995), pp. 171-181.
"UTCAT: Applying Design Principles to an Online Catalog," in The Online Catalog Book, ed. Walt Crawford (New York: G.K. Hall, 1992), pp. 507-520.
"Technostress and the Reference Librarian," Reference Services Review 20 (Summer 1992), 7-14,50.
(with Ann Neville) "Online Access for Visually Impaired Students," Database 14 (December 1991), 102-104.
"The Graphic Approach," quarterly column in Research Strategies; 23 installments (Winter 1983 - Summer 1988).
"Hard Choices at the Reference Desk," National Federation of Abstracting & Information Services Newsletter (October 1988), 250.
"'What did you do?' 'Write.' 'What did you write about?' 'Nothing.'," Teaching Through Writing: A Newsletter for Faculty in All Disciplines 1 (November 1984), 1-5; reprinted in UT Center for Teaching Effectiveness, Teaching Through Writing: A Resourcebook for Instructors of Substantial Writing Courses (Austin, 1985).
"Informational Graphics and Sign Systems as Library Instruction Media," Drexel Library Quarterly 16 (January 1980), 54-68.
"The Role of the Design Consultant," in Sign Systems for Libraries, ed. Dorothy Pollet and Peter Haskell (New York: Bowker, 1979), pp. 69-78.
Outstanding Reviewer, Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence 2009
MCI Cybrarian of the Year (Nevada, 1998)
Nevada Library Association Progressive Library Service Award (1998)
Washoe County Library System "Jewel of Excellence" Award (November 1998)
UT Austin General Libraries Staff Excellence Award (1990)
Washoe County Library Board of Trustees, Reno NV (2014)
Editorial board, Reference Services Review (1994+, emeritus since August 2008)
Marin County Library Commission (2001-2006, 2009-2010)
Advisory Board, Librarians' Internet Index (2002-2007)